Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Long Year Passed

I just reviewed my blog and saw that it's been a year since I've published my blog.  An illness took over my life, but I'm happy to say that I am healthier now and able to get back to what I love, which is my garden.  It suffered quite a bit, right along with me!  However, the summer has been good to me and I've been busy getting both myself and my garden back to health.

It is August in South Louisiana again.  We've had continuous rain today and we need it!  The weather has been hot, humid, and without rain for weeks and weeks.  My mornings and evenings have been spent trying to save my plant friends by extra watering and feeding to keep them at their best.

So much is blooming now that it would be difficult to list in the short time I have for this post.  However, my favorites this year have been coleus 'Sedona',  Hardy Hibiscus, Wild Blue Indigo,  a new heat/humidity resistant lobelia (beautifully blue), and vinca (white & fushia).  I've also enjoyed many different colors of verbena, but my favorite is a white & pink variety that is called "Lanai Twister Pink".  It has been a consistent performer all year.  One other plant that I would like to mention is the new "Sun Parasol - crimson" that has been absolutely fantastic, covering an arbor with beautiful true red trumpet shaped flowers all season, even in this weather!

I just finished planting the fall/winter vegetables in the raised planter beds.  Hopefully I will have lots of mustard greens, broccoli, spinach, lettuce, carrots, radishes, sugar snap peas, tomatoes, pumpkins, gourds, and leeks to show you in the near future!

I will be updating more frequently and posting pictures of the garden in days to come.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoy your day in the garden!

Sherri

Butterfly ginger is absolutely gorgeous and the fragrance is intoxicating!


No comments:

Post a Comment